Thursday, April 18, 2024

Queen Mary I wrote her last will on 30 March 1558. 

Mary I believed herself to be about eight months pregnant in March 1558. She created her will in the event that she died in childbirth, an imminent danger for women in the 16th century.

Mary I named her unborn child as her heir, with her husband, King Philip II of Spain, named as regent. Mary also requested that her mother’s remains, Queen Catherine of Aragon, be removed from Peterborough Cathedral, and reinterred in Westminster Abbey, where Mary also requested to be buried. Catherine and Mary were denied a relationship for the majority of Mary's life, she wanted to finally be reunited with her mother in death.

Heart achingly, Queen Mary I never gave birth to a child as she was not pregnant. It seems as though Mary suffered a phantom pregnancy. It was not her only one. Mary endured a phantom pregnancy in 1554-1555, as well.

Mary’s health rapidly deteriorated after this traumatic event and she passed away in November 1558. Mary I was laid to rest in Westminster Abbey, but her last wish for her mother to join her there never came to fruition. Upon Queen Elizabeth I's death, Elizabeth would be laid to rest on top of Mary and a gigantic monument was placed over both queens. Only this monument was dedicated to Elizabeth. Other than a little plaque that was recently placed on the monument, one would have no idea that the first Queen Regnant of England also lay there.






Queen Mary I, Hans Eworth, c. 1555-1558






Monumental Tomb of Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Mary I
Taken by me, May 2023
Westminster Abbey, London

No comments:

Post a Comment

  A Dramatic Twist:  The Accession of King Richard III        Richard Plantagenet, Duke of Gloucester, acceded to the throne of England ...